“Brian Liston Nation’s Real Estate Firms Entrust Him With Their Most Important Real Estate Tax Appeals and Incentives, Zoning, Development and Condemnation Needs”
He currently represents Fortune 500 companies and landowners in eminent domain and property tax litigation matters in suits filed by local, municipal and state agencies throughout the United States.
Mr. Liston has successfully represented large and sophisticated commercial developments and industrial parks and businesses, condominium associations and owners of multi-complex units in eminent domain matters and property tax matters.
In his expertise in the eminent domain field, he has represented public bodies and acted as Assistant Deputy Counsel for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District. Specifically, Mr. Liston represented the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District along with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in connection with their multi-billion dollar public works project known as the “O’Hare CUP Deep Tunnel Project.”
This project was one of the largest and most complex land acquisition projects in the United States which included property acquisition’s of hundreds of thousands of acres of land for the underground tunnels that traveled throughout the State of Illinois, much of which was occupied by major public utilities. It was, therefore, necessary to obtain formal approval from the Illinois Commerce Commission (“ICC”) to relocate nineteen different public utilities.
In addition, he formerly was a Special Assistant Attorney General representing The Illinois State Toll Highway authority and was formerly a special assistant for the Illinois Department of Transportation in Eminent Domain matters, where he actively litigated eminent domain cases throughout Illinois. Mr Liston was awarded the NIAOP and SIOR Awards for Industrial Redevelopment of the Year and Industrial Build to Suit and has been nominated for his work in each category since 2005.
He currently writes the Illinois Continuing Legal Education Chapter for Land Use for the Eminent Domain Publication and has been Awarded the Crain’s Chicago Business Top Attorney Award as well as the coveted Leading Lawyers award since its inception for Lawyers ranking by their peers in the State of Illinois. Mr Liston was a three year letterman on the Nationally ranked Purdue University football team where he earned Academic All Big Ten honors in 1982 and 1983.
Affiliations and Activities:
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court, Illinois Supreme Court, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, United States Tax Court, United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, Military Court of Appeals -Midwest Regional Editor for ALI-ABA Committee on Condemnation, Zoning and Land Use; Real Property Committee and Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Lecturer and Author: Illinois State Bar Association Real Estate Section Committee Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Seminar, Chicago, Illinois, “Highest and Best Use Analysis,” 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
- Guest speaker on Eminent Domain/Land Use for BP Amoco Corporation, Midwest Real Estate Development Team, “Access Taking,” 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 2002 2003, 2004
- Guest speaker on Eminent Domain/Land Use for Marathon Oil Corporation Dealers Association, “Damage to the Remainder,” -Moderator for Case Law Update
- ALI-ABA Eminent Domain and Land Valuation Litigation Committee Member Seminar, -Member, Illinois State Bar Association Real Estate Section Committee, 1996 to present
- Member, Chicago Bar Association Real Estate Tax Committee, 1992 to present
- Member, Chicago Bar Association Real Property Committee, 1992 to present
- Illinois State Bar Association speaker Real Estate Law Update 2009 “Highest and Best Use” -Illinois State Bar Association speaker Real Estate Law Update 2008, 2009 Fall.
- “Highest & Best use of Land in Eminent Domain” -Illinois State Bar Association speaker Real Estate Law Update 2007
- Chicago Bar Association, Young Lawyers Association “Eminent Domain” 2004 -Judicial Evaluations -Illinois State Bar Mentoring
- ICLE Real Estate Journal Publishing Commerical Real Estate